Sunday, April 18, 2010

Update on ME!

I got a job!
A small, part time job...but I love it!
I started on March 27th.
I work at Gunnar and Coby's school.

At 8:40 AM I drive (along with the boys) down to the crosswalk near the school. It is perfect because it is less than a minute away. My first customers are Coby and Gunnar. I safely get them across the street. I then wait for other students who need help safely crossing the street. I am done by 8:55 AM.

I look similar to this...
Don't be jealous but I have (oops, I mean get) to wear a lovely vest complete with reflective tape. Similar to one of these...I also have a flag that I use to stop traffic.

You may think this is a simple job...but think again friends. This is serious stuff. See below...


JOB DESCRIPTION: School Crossing Guard

QUALIFICATIONS:
1. At least 21 years of age.
2. High School diploma or equivalent.
3. Previous experience working with children.
4. Previous safety experience preferred.
5. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may determine.

REPORTS TO: Building Principal

JOB GOALS: To monitor and to provide a safe traffic flow and crossing for each student.

PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Supervises and monitors school traffic.
2. Supervises students at crossings.
3. Advises building principals and district staff of any potential danger areas.
4. Maintains confidentiality of students and/or staff.
5. Other related duties as assigned.

I have big responsibilities!

And my day is not done there.

I return to the school at 11:10AM and report to the school cafeteria. While there I help out the lunch lady... aka : "The Gak". I am usually only in the lunch room for first lunch. The first lunch consists of kindergarten and 1st grade students. I help keep the kids in line. I help them refrain from screaming, running, hitting, punching, throwing food, trading food, eating their dessert first, tattling, crying, poking, puking, kicking, spitting, burping etc. etc. However the actual job description should be...

Job description: open a million Go-Gurt packs but know that each and every one will spill, spray, drip, ooze, and squirt all over the place. My day is still not done.

After lunch I go out to the playground where I bandage skinned knees, break up fist fights, peel children off each other, wipe tears, fix ponytails, tie shoes, apply pressure to bloody noses, assist kids to the office who have wet their pants, referee/umpire soccer, basketball, kickball, football, foursquare, red rover, etc.

It is a lot of fun.

Gunnar loves it that I am there every day for lunch and recess. I thought Coby might not like the fact that I am there for his recess but every day he runs outside and gives me a big hug. He is thrilled that I am there. I am still a little shocked.

I am done with recess duty at 1:10. I them go home but have to return again to help kids cross the street after school at 3:30. My entire day is finally done at 3:40. I only work for a little over two hours but it is spread throughout the entire day. That is the only thing I don't like about it. Back and forth, back and forth.

8:40 - 8:55
11:10 - 1:10
3:30 - 3:40

Hopefully someday I will get to work more hours. I would love to be there more (plus it would be nice to get paid for more hours).

***
The other exciting news in my life is that I lost 24 pounds since January.

I joined a Biggest Loser competition and came in 3rd place out of about 30 people.

First place got $469
Second place got $281 and
Third place (me) got $187

I lost 14.63% of my body weight. I have tried for years to lose weight with little or no success. I guess it was motivating enough to compete with others. John also was in the competition and he did awesome. He lost 22 pounds.

I worked out every day and counted calories.

I have slacked a little bit since the completion of the contest at the end of March. I haven't gained weight back but I haven't lost anything since. I was losing 1 to 3 pounds a week.

I guess it is time to start up my workouts and calorie counting again.

While I am no where near where I want to be...I am on my way.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

24 pounds!! That's AWESOME Jai!!! I love all the job descriptions too! After reading about all the hitting, crying, pants wetting, puking, tattling, ect., it makes me happy I'm teaching high school. :)

K Fuji said...

So nice to see an update about you, babe. And Groovy Kind of Love was playing. LOVE your blogs!!

Anonymous said...

Woohooo! Congrats on the weight loss- you look amazing I might add :)! And congrats on the job- thats perfect!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

yay! i'm so happy for you! you look amazing...gonna start calling you the incredible shrinking woman! loved your description of what you do at lunch. i miss you so let's plan a get together sooooon!