Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Book Thief

This is one of those few books you encounter that can take your breath away. The words, the images, the story - everything about this book is amazing. Deeply, deeply moving, insightful, and, at times humorous. There were moments of profound revelation, moments of quiet discovery; moments when it was difficult not to stop reading and reflect on what I had just read. It will completely expose your soul. I laughed, I cried, I couldn't put it down. The writing, though I wasn't sure the first few pages, is so incredibly beautiful. A few images that will stay with me forever:
the boy with lemon colored hair
an accordion
Jesse Owens
"He steps on my heart"
hopscotch footprints
a snowball fight
a plate of cookies
The Word Shaker
bread crumbs
and above all, the man with "soft, silver eyes"
I read this book for a book club and everyone else loved it as well.
Thushari, Gretchen,
Donna, Me, and Susan (Jessica had to leave early)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This is a beautiful story about... WORDS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- the author should pay you for that review.... I just may have to read it now!! :)

Deon said...

I am so bummed I couldn't go Hopefully next month